- Is a vital national security interest threatened?
- Do we have a clear attainable objective?
- Have the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed?
- Have all other non-violent policy means been fully exhausted?
- Is there a plausible exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement?
- Have the consequences of our action been fully considered?
- Is the action supported by the American people?
- Do we have genuine broad international support?
1. National security threat?
2. Clear attainable objective?
3. Risks and costs analyzed?
4. Diplomacy exhausted?
5. Exit strategy?
6. Consequences fully considered?
7. Supported by the American people?
8. Broad international support?